Monday, October 5, 2015

My Rejected Entries to "The Oxford Companion to Wine"


I’m feeling a bit disappointed. I just opened the Fourth Edition of “The Oxford Companion to Wine” and not a single one of my entries was published. Admittedly, Jancis Robinson didn’t solicit any contributions from me, but I submitted them anyway. I was certain my well-researched entry on “Overblown Wine Encyclopedias” was going to get in. I’m certainly as qualified as many of the contributors to the OCW4, particularly those who are deceased. Who must be great fun at the book signings.

To read my inexplicably rejected entries for "The Oxford Companion to Wine," you'll have to jump over to Tim Atkin MW's site. Honestly, I cannot believe my entries aren't in the book! And she calls it complete. Maybe for the Fifth Edition I'll be asked to contribute. I might make it as one of the deceased.

As always, feel free to comment on Tim's site, he does so like to have witty ripostes and retorts posted there. Or put your torts and postes here, and I'll have them for breakfast.

TIM ATKIN MW

6 comments:

Mike Dunne said...

Where are the comments over there? Do the Brits lack a sense of humor just as they lack a cuisine? Come on, "Howl Mountain" is inspired. Actually, Britain does have a cuisine, it's called Indian. Stole that from an English native. Tried to post this on the Tim Atkins site, but they make you jump through so many hoops that I said forget it. Maybe that's why there aren't any comments over there.

Ron Washam, HMW said...

Mike,
I think everyone takes my Monday at Tim's as a day off from being a common tater. The good news is, it means I get the day off, too. Or, perhaps closer to the truth, no one cares, so I get the day off. It's lonely being a blogger.

It really isn't that hard to comment on Tim's site. Don't you know a six-year-old? They can all figure it out.

Bob Henry said...

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this report. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it."

~~ Rufus T. Firefly
President,
Freedonia

[Another example of the dumbing down of America. Now it takes two more years of education.]

Bob Henry said...

". . . the first 75 numbers are ignored, like at a ToTo concert."

All those songs bump up the concert performance royalty.

Bob Henry said...

John Lennox rebutted Richard Dawkins with his own "tome" (really a very slim pamphlet at best) titled "The Wine Bible & Ethics" -- on wine writers, wine bloggers, "swag" and conflicts of interest.

http://articles.latimes.com/print/1987-08-23/news/mn-3198_1_wine-writers

Joe Roberts said...

"see Wine Bloggers"

Spitting coffee right now, my man! Well done!