Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Sam Euthanasia, World's Oldest Wine Critic, on 2016 Bordeaux


While other critics try to be the first to publish scores of a new Bordeaux vintage, Sam Euthanasia, who, at 95, is the World’s Oldest Wine Critic, as well as the most influential, takes his time. “Listen,” he tells me, “I’m in no hurry. I sit on my scores like I sit on my bedpan. Sometimes it takes a while for my scores, but the result? Hell, it’s Bordeaux, it’s en primeur, it’s a carnival sideshow—no matter how hard you push to get the scores out of your ass, it ends up just the same old shit.”

I have become rather fond of Sam Euthanasia, the World's Oldest Wine Critic. First of all, there's a lot of competition for that title among regular wine reviewers of the most famous wine publications. I couldn't exactly make him 75--I think a bunch of them are older than that. Or seem like it. I thought it would be fun to check in with him about the highly-touted 2016 Bordeaux vintage. He has a lot to say about the en primeur tasting, but you'll have to head over to Tim Atkin's prestigious site to read what Sam has to say. Feel free to engage Sam with your comments over there, or return here and write your comments really loudly so that Sam can hear them.

TIM ATKIN MW

2 comments:

Bob Henry said...

Where did you dig up that photo of American author and journalist Tom Wolfe?

Charlie Olken said...

I know Sam well. He is one of many wine critics now too old to taste, but that does not stop us. As long as we can count to 100, we can keep on going. Although, if the truth be told, most of us cannot count below 88 anymore.