Friday, July 10, 2009

Elegy for Ali





She was the most beautiful horse. An Arabian mare, white, with a gorgeous dark mane and long white tail. It seemed like every little girl who saw her thought she looked like a unicorn. It wasn't just her look, it was the magic she exuded. And now that she's gone she has gained the unicorn's immortality.

What I knew about horses I knew from Santa Anita. There was a time when I regularly attended Santa Anita as a way of disposing of the excess tip money I was earning. I would always work my way down to the paddock when a really high stakes race was being run to see what the great thoroughbreds looked like, how they carried themselves. I learned by watching horses like Affirmed and Spectacular Bid and Cigar that you can see much of a horse's character and heart in the way he carries himself, in his gait, in his bearing, in his aura. More than most animals, humans included, a horse is honest in the way he presents himself. There is a wonderful dignity in that.

The first time I saw my wife Kathleen with her horse Ali I fell even deeper in love with her. If ever a horse and rider were made for each other, I thought, these two were. Ali was simply breathtakingly beautiful. But like so many beautiful females, Ali was shy. Her beauty was a given, she seemed to say, but try and see past it. She walked with uncommon grace and delicacy, as if she were walking on the edge of the visible world all the time. There was kindness in her eyes, not a quality one often sees in thoroughbred race horses, but in Ali it was unmistakable, the same kindness Kathleen radiates. The bond between them was palpable, a living thing that they each held in deep reverence.

Kathleen had rescued Ali from a life of being confined to a stable, weaving all day long (and throwing a pot occasionally to break up the monotony--not easy with hooves) and suffering from bowed tendons. Ali was her first horse, purchased with whatever money she could scrape together, and was paid off slowly. But Kathleen knew when she first set eyes on a photograph of Ali that this was her horse, that Ali was the horse she was meant to ride. Kathleen knew she was meant to ride Ali, but she had no idea the remarkable journey Ali would take her on.

Their journey began thirteen years ago in Southern California and ended last Tuesday in a beautiful pasture in Healdsburg. When I was first getting to know my gorgeous wife Kathleen I asked her, "How did you meet your best friend Melanie?" I still love her answer. "Our horses are sisters." As if that explained it. Yet it was true. Melanie's horse Tawni and Kathleen's horse Ali were sisters. It was Melanie, then just an acquaintance of my wife, who showed Kathleen the picture of an Arabian mare she needed a home for, the picture that changed my wife's life. It was Ali that introduced Kathleen to her best friend Melanie. It was Ali who took my wife for a journey into horse training and healing, into becoming a certified TTouch practitioner, a path that has completely enriched her life. And when we moved to Healdsburg, it was Ali who opened the doors for Kathleen to make new friends. Other horsewomen would stop her, admire Ali, her beauty and carriage, and new friendships suddenly blossomed. Kathleen's shyness together with Ali's shyness was irresistible. It was magic.

I will never forget this beautiful, shy, kind mare. The first time I was assigned to care for Ali while my wife was out of town, I was really frightened. Not of Ali, but of my own stupidity, which, believe me, is frightening. I love all animals, always have. As a child I insisted on going to the zoo on my birthday where my siblings asked for Disneyland. I read countless books about animals and watched goofy old Marlin Perkins on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom religiously. "So while Jim is off allowing the rhinoceros to mount him from behind, I want to remind you not to fall 'behind' in your life insurance coverage..." But I had never taken care of a horse. I'd ridden a few, strictly rentals (a lot like my sex life), but was completely unequipped otherwise.

The first afternoon I went to walk Ali I was very skittish. Ali didn't look too sure about me either. I entered her stall with the halter, she graciously put her nose down to help me slide it over her head, which I did rather gracefully I thought. But there was something strange about it. It just didn't seem right that the rope was extending from Ali's forehead instead of below her jaw. Kind of made her look like a unicorn with a limp horn, but definitely not good for walking her. I'd put the damned thing on upside down. Ali just stood there. Didn't move her head, just eyeballed me with that great giant eye and its feminine eyelashes as if to say, "Even I can't believe you're that stupid." But there was deep kindness in her eyes, the kindness of an old soul. I took the halter off, got it on right side up, and Ali took me for a walk. She could be kind of skittish, Kathleen had told me, so be careful if there are cars near her. We were walking across Riverside Drive in Burbank, Ali and I, I was sweating parimutuel tickets worrying Ali would rear or spook or takeoff with my right arm dragging behind her, when a big damned Chevy truck pulled onto the street blasting mariachi music and sounding like the First Armored Division out to get Saddam Hussein (another skittish Arab). Shit, I thought, now what do I do? But Ali just stopped, perked up her ears, did a little bit of what seemed to me salsa dancing, and that was that. That was the moment I fell in love with that magnificent mare.

Ali fell last Monday afternoon, a serious fall. The lovely woman who owns the property where Ali was boarded called Kathleen to tell her that Ali was unable to put any weight on one of her hind legs. Kathleen rushed to her, called the vet and waited. After the vet had arrived and taken X-rays the news was not good. Fractures and serious damage in both hind legs. Trying to fix her would involve lots of surgery, years of rehab and stall confinement, and then no guarantees. She would never be able to be ridden again.

Kathleen slept on the decision overnight. Well, she didn't really sleep. Ali is her soulmate, her horse Other, her companion on what has been a remarkable journey. Doing the right thing for Ali was all that mattered. I know Kathleen, I love Kathleen, I've never seen her more distraught, more devastated, more forlorn. But I knew that she would make her decision not from a place of fear or selfishness or anger, but from a place of courage and compassion and kindness and love. She did.

Kathleen went out early Tuesday morning to be with Ali. She had made her decision and she had called her veterinarian. She spent hours talking to Ali, thanking her, talking to her gently with words and with touch about making the transition, about the beauty of the place where she would soon be grazing, the always green pastures where she would once again be able to run and run and toss her mane in the wind and carry her tail high and proud and beautiful. She gave Ali treats and reminisced about the ridiculously steep trails Ali and she had ridden together, remembered the feel of the gigantic heart of that gorgeous, courageous Arabian pounding in her chest, astonished at her drive to keep going and going, a drive inextinguishable. And she just sat with her girl, her horse daughter, her horse companion, her horse teacher, and tried to be strong for her, tried to lead her. One last time.

When the vet arrived it was a matter of getting Ali out to the pasture from her stall. Nine hundred pounds and two fractured hind legs. How do you move that? Simple. Cookies. Following the cookies offered to her by her beloved Kathleen, Ali slowly and excruciatingly dragged her self and her two fractured legs into the pasture. She must have known. But she would follow Kathleen anywhere. Wherever you are leading me, I trust you, I love you. And you have cookies.

The vet gave Ali her final injection and death came quickly. As is its custom. Kathleen felt Ali leave behind her beautiful but crippled body and felt that enormous heart stop. Ali's job here at this crazy rodeo was over. Ali had taken Kathleen to places no other living being could have, carried her on her back in real and metaphorical ways, and she was clearly tired. But Arabs, those remarkable endurance horses, never quit until they are at the finish line. Ali had crossed the finish line a champion. But the finish line had come too soon for Kathleen.

Ali was buried where she fell, in a pasture overlooking the Russian River. Ali had found Kathleen thirteen years ago, taken her for a long and beautiful ride, and her job here was done. But Ali will be back. We know she will return. Ali will find her way back to her human soulmate Kathleen. We still have some cookies.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been a hard couple of years for everyone animal wise. Your bird and both Jack and JoAnn's dogs--and now Ali. I guess this is the natural order of things, but it kind of sucks.

I'll be thinking of Kathleen and Ali today.

-Katie

Samantha Dugan said...

What a beautiful tribute to Ali, Kathleen and the spirit of real love. Heart breaking....thank you for sharing their story, I feel lucky to have heard it.

Diane said...

Dear HSM,
I am sorry for your family's loss. Your writing to share it with strangers is courageous. The emotional tribute is stunnning.

Kudus to you! My prayers are with Ali and the healing process for Kathleen.

BTW: I dumped my cheap-ass boyfriend. I'm still your wine bitch.

Diane

Ron Washam, HMW said...

Hey All,

Thanks. I wasn't in much of a joking, HoseMaster mood. I suspect my wife would have rather had me euthanized than her horse, but I intentionally stayed away when the vet was there.

Good for you, Diane!! You deserve someone far better. PM me, Doll, so we can catch up! hosemaster@earthlink.net

Gorgeous Sam,

You know I share everything with you! I adore you so, Love. Thank you for your usual kindness.

Samantha Dugan said...

The adoration is shared my love...forever. Comfort your lovely wife, take these comments to heart and know that your friend in the south, she loves you with everything she can muster

Abel said...

Thank you for sharing the joyful as well as the sad moments. Our thoughts are with the three of you.

Ashley Lauren said...

Ron,

Haven't check in for a some time. Been busy moving the site from FineWhineBlog to our new address. My Mom loves horses, intensely like your Kathleen. This particular piece on your great loss is beautiful. It's just beautiful.
Ash

Tere Crocker, DVM said...

Wha must be said is how brave both kathleen and ali were through all of this. Ali fractured her stifle (like our knee), tearing the meniscus, cruciate, and collateral ligaments, as well as chipping the tibia in three spots- this is the leg she did not want to stand on. In the other leg, she crushed 3 bones in her hock (like our ankle). Even so, she was never angry, or mean, or outwardly appeared frightened. Her demeanour was exceptionally brave and like you said- Arabians are as tough as nails when it comes to pain. They will try to finish a race, even with there intestines hanging out if their partener asks. In case anyone is worried- she had quiet a bit of horsey-morphine in addition to the cookies. Kathleen should be praised and respected for making such a tough decision to let her girl go on to other pastures. Many of us humans are selfish when it comes to the hardest decision. It is never right or easy to take a life- regardless of circumstances. Making the decision to let go- thats the hard part. Our truest companions would always suffer their pain to be with us if we needed them, but thats not fair either. They are most often very ready to pass on by the time we can see it. As their guardians- it is our duty to offer them the respect and compassion to let go- and the truest partenerships will always know when it is the right time. I only knew Ali for a little while- but long enough to know, that a long life in a wheel-chair being hand fed was not for her. She made it to a mountain pasture from a stall in LA- for a horse- there is no better final resting place- I know she is at peace and the pain of her passing was but a fleeting momment. Much love to the family and warm horse kisses from heaven on the back of your neck- every time you whisper her name or think of her soft muzzel.

Anonymous said...

Ron -

Made a big mistake by opening the post while sitting in my cube eating lunch the other day. By the time I was halfway through I was a weepy mess. I left Kathleen a FB post, but wanted to also let you know that this was one of the most beautifully written pieces I have ever read. Your love and admiration for Kathleen and her courage in the face of tremendous tragedy is so genuine and clear. And, your fond feelings and respect for Ali and her place in Kathleen's life are also very evident. Thank you for sharing this with us. My heart is absolutely broken for Kathleen and she - and you - are in our thoughts. Big hugs to you both from SoCal.

- Lisa Mrozek (don't know how to post w/my name....)

Julie Marrs said...

Ron and Kathleen - beautiful tribute to Ali. I know the pain that accompanies making a tough decision to releasing an equine friend back to nature. My J.P. was a splashy black and white Apaloosa. He was the best trail horse anyone could ask for. Nature preselected him to return by virtue of a stroke. It was like a switch would turn off and on, he would recognize my voice, and coming to me, would stop, like a switch had been turned off. He didn't remember to eat or drink, so it was quickly evident what decision was necessary. Our equine friends are beautiful and strong and possess a nobility about them that only they possess. A beautiful tribute to Ali and I know she remains strong and beautiful in your hearts.