Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What's the HoseMaster Drinking?


Cep 2007 Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast



Here's the finest Pinot Noir in California for $25 or less. Well, that's not much of a recommendation when I think about it. What's the competition at that price point? It's like saying, "Here's the best steak dinner for under $20." So forget I said that. This is delicious, satisfying, gorgeous Pinot Noir. So don't ask what I peayed for it. It's produced by a prestigious Sonoma Coast winery that, for some bizarre marketing reason, doesn't want its name associated with Cep. So I've chosen to peay attention to their request and not divulge the winery. I have certainly had far more expensive Pinot Noirs that weren't this good. You don't always get what you peay for. "Cep" is French for root vine, which explains the label, which otherwise could be misconstrued as a divining rod. Which, I guess is what a vine root is, so maybe that's not misconstruing at all. The aroma is very feminine (by which I mean it would never agree to let me take it home unless I peayed for it), filled with red fruits, which, if you're going to hound me about it, reminded me of huckleberry. There's plenty of spicy notes, and just a tiny bit of earthiness, more mushroom than anything. But it completely overdelivers on the palate. It's just gorgeous wine, bright with acidity, not particularly tannic, not at all ponderous or overextracted; it delivers the delicacy and beauty of Pinot Noir in a beguilingly complex way. I still can't get over the price for a Pinot Noir of this quality.

The HoseMaster Score 702,006 Points

Disclaimer:
Let me make it perfectly clear. I did not have sex with that woman.



4 comments:

Samantha Dugan said...

Saw the first, "typo" and thought, "Oh My Gawd, he is human" but then....such a pain in the ass you are.

Ron Washam, HMW said...

My Gorgeous Samantha,

Of course, you mean peayn in the ass. And, yes, I am. Or aspire to be...

I adore you!

vickibarkley said...

I'm chuckling, too. BTW, I enjoyed the tasting notes! Completely took me by surprise, as I've come to rely on you for potboiler fiction, and exhilirating satire.

Ron Washam, HMW said...

Dear Vicki,

I thought I would try my hand at making tasting notes a little bit more interesting than a list of ridiculous adjectives.

Thanks for reading, Vicki. Samantha tells me you're a doll, and I always believe My Gorgeous Samantha.